Founded in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1857 by Elias Cornelius Atkins. He had moved from Bristol, Connecticut, where for several years he had been engaged in the manufacture of small tools, clocks, and saws. He was in the Hill Planing Mill on South New Jersey Street until 1863. Larger quarters were secured at 408 S. Illinois Street where room was available for expansion. By 1943, the plant had acres of floor space.

They were incorporated in 1885. Atkins’ line included saws, saw handles and tools used in the upkeep of saws, and knives used in cutting meat, paper, cloth, fibre, and other substances.

E.C. Atkins continued as head of the plant for nearly 50 years. Upon his death in 1901, he was succeeded by his son, H.C. Atkins. The firm continued to operate until 1960, when the plant was closed and moved to Greenville, Mississippi.

In 1943, E.C. Atkins II had 26 combat daggers custom made for his son E.C. Atkins III, and the other members of his Army unit. The blade was made from Silver Steel, and the handle was made of red fibre, bronze, and aluminum spacers.

[pdf-embedder url=”https://www.knifemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/goins/A-names/Atkins-EC-Atkins.pdf” title=”Atkins EC Atkins”]

(1857)

 

 

c 1857-1960