Established in 1874 by Frederick Westpfal (sometimes spelled Westfal) on East Houston Street, New York City. He had four sons, Frederick, Albert, Henry, and August. The sons entered the business, and when the founder died in 1900, continued the business as F. Westpfal at 186 E. Houston Street.
In 1905, they built a five-story brick building for their business. The entire basement was used for the storage of grindstones. The first floor was the retail store, second floor the wholesale office and showroom. The third and fourth floors were stockrooms, and the fifth floor was a repair and manufacturing shop. They became Frederick Westpfal & Brothers Company prior to 1928.
c 1874-1928
