HARRISON BROS & HOWSON SHEFFIELD ENGLAND

This firm was at 45 Norfolk Street, Sheffield, England. In 1953, their business was on Carver Street, Sheffield. They were established in 1847 when James W. Harrison, Henry Harrison, and William Howson purchased the William Sansom firm. The “Alpha” trademark they used was purchased from Samuel Harwood in about 1853. This company manufactured “Bowie” type knives, among other kinds of cutlery.

In 1851, John Marsden of New York City was their American agent. Harrison Brothers & Howson were making all types of cutlery, and patented table knives at that time.

In 1855 and 1856, Harrison Brothers & Howson had a business at 250 Pearl Street, New York City. John Marsden was at the same address, probably still their American agent. Marsden was listed in the City Directory from 1856 through 1859 at 249 Pearl. From 1883 to 1885, W.C. Burkinshaw was at 126 Chambers Street and was the sole agent for Harrison Brothers & Howson.

About 1902, Harrison Brothers and Howson purchased the Charles Ibbotson firm, and acquired their trademarks, “Early Bird,” and “Slash.” They used the following trademarks:

 

 

c 1847-1963