There were two knife shops in this Connecticut town. The first shop was what was known as a Cottage Cutler’s shop, and was located a little north of Campville Hill Road, in the back of James Elliot’s blacksmith shop. The Hopkins & Alfred clock company was in business from about 1820-1827, and parts for their clocks and cutlery were made in this shop.
For many years parts for knives were dug up by men who lived in the Campville area near the foundation of this shop. A Mr. Gaylord Wells was selling knives to the Abijah Catlin store about 1835.
The second shop was (1879) in the Poverty Hill area, a short distance to the East of the Bridge over Lead Mine Creek. The names of these firms are unknown.
c 1820-1835 & 1879
