KANE CUTLERY CO. KANE PA.

There were two businesses in Kane, Pennsylvania that used the name “Kane Cutlery Company.” The first was founded on January 1, 1906 as the Kane Cutlery Company. They did not have much success, and were sold to the Case Brothers Cutlery Company of Little Valley, New York on October 13, 1906. Case Brothers ran the firm until July 14, 1908 when the factory was turned over to a board of trustees.

The company was reorganized in the fall of 1909 as the Kane Cutlery Company. They were in a desperate struggle for survival from the start, little working capital, no credit, and in debt for over $5,000. There were only six workmen employed, and few goods could be produced. After a stockholder’s meeting, shares were sold to the public. Over $7,000 was raised, but this only covered the debt. Credit was worked out, and in less than a year they were on better footing. James McDade was credited with saving the business.

In January, 1911 officers of the firm were: Franklin E. Ulf, president, William. H. Bunce, secretary. In 1913, the company was bankrupt, and the plant was closed. On July 31, 1914, the machinery, office furniture, and all other personal property were sold at a sheriff’s sale.

The new owner of the factory, Harry H. Hollingsworth, re-opened the plant, and changed the name to the Hollingsworth Knife Company.

 

 

c 1906 and 1909-1914