SHELBURNE FALLS CUTLERY

Founded in 1837 as the Lamson-Goodnow Company, they began making cutlery in 1842. In 1851, they were incorporated as the Shelburne Falls Manufacturing Company. The name was changed to Lamson & Goodnow Manufacturing Company in 1853.
In the 1860 New England Business Directory, both the Lamson & Goodnow, in Buckland, and the Shelburne Falls Cutlery, in Shelburne, are listed. There may have been two different companies that used this marking.
It is unknown exactly when the pocket knives were made, but many seem to have been made by the Waterville Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut for Lamson & Goodnow. Some have been marked “L & G” on the master blade, and “Shelburne Falls Cut.” on the small blades.

(Feeatured image) A 3 1/4” four-blade congress knife, marked “Shelburne Falls Cutlery Co.” on all blades.

 

 

c 1851-1860