David E. Sprague and Alva Miller worked for the Waterville Manufacturing Company for several years. Sprague worked in the plant assembling pocket knives, and Miller was an agent for the firm. In 1853, when the Connecticut General Assembly passed a private act enabling Waterville to change its business, Sprague and Miller formed a partnership to stay in cutlery.
In 1860, Samuel Root (a cousin of Sprague) purchased Miller’s share, and they became Sprague & Root. Sprague was living in Williamsburg, Massachusetts, near Northampton at that time. He traveled throughout Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire selling knives. Mr. Root’s sales route was through New York State and Pennsylvania.
In 1865, Alonzo Boyden replaced Root as a partner, and they became Sprague & Boyden. They purchased the old knife shop in Waterville, and began manufacturing cutlery using the marking “Waterville Cutlery Company.”
In 1871, H.H. Welton bought into the company, and they became Sprague, Boyden & Welton. This partnership lasted until 1876, when Welton left. No one replaced him, and the name was once again Sprague & Boyden.
They were located on Main Street, at the corner of Sheffield, in Waterville, Connecticut. In 1887, the address was Main, 8 High. This address remained the same until 1890, when they were taken over by Sumner Babcock of the Waterville Cutlery Company.
c 1871-1876
