Located in Tipton, Indiana, they were founded in 1915 by Gustav Schimkat. The factory comprised of four buildings, the largest of which was a three story brick building, 45 by 175 feet. This building housed the assembling, grinding, trimming, japanning, die room, and boiler room on the first floor. The office, shipping room, finishing and razor department was on the second floor. The polishing, plating, and buffing departments were on the third floor.
Another building, also brick, was the forge plant. The forge was equipped with three large hammers. The third housed the hardening, tempering, and tumbling departments, and the fourth the stock and raw material storage rooms.
In 1920, Gustav and Walter Schimkat moved the Schimkat Cutlery Company from Fremont, Ohio to Tipton, and merged the two firms under the name Schimkat Cutlery Company.
c 1915-1920
