Founded in 1819 by Daniel Klauberg, at 84 Maiden Lane, New York City. In 1824, he moved to 173 William Street, where the company remained until 1916.
Daniel Klauberg was one of the pioneers in American cutlery. In 1824, he was making surgical, and other cutlery such as razors, pen knife blades, and tailor’s shears. He also sharpened all types of tools.
In 1829, they began importing razor blanks from Sheffield, England. They then concaved, polished and set them in their New York office. Daniel Klauberg retired, and turned the business over to his son.
The first City Directory listing under Carl Klauberg is in 1837. His brother Charles joined the firm about 1844. Carl Jr. opened a shop in 1850 at 88 Chatham Street, New York City. About 1859, Carl Sr. retired and turned the business over to his son. In 1861, however, his son entered the Seventh Regiment N.G.N.Y., and left for the Civil War. Carl Klauberg Sr. came out of retirement to run the business in his absence. After the war, he again retired.
William J. Klauberg was born in 1861, and later became president of the business his great-grandfather had founded. He headed the firm until 1914, when he retired. In 1917, his three sons entered the service, and like his grandfather he ran the business until they returned. In 1916, they moved the offices to the Woolworth Building. They had been at the William Street shop for 92 years.
c 1895-1940
